Category Archives: Special Events
The Cleveland Wheelers/British Cycling “Summertime Challenge” is a series of 4 events taking place over the next couple of months (see calendar for details).
The events consist of a series of age-related races, with skills courses and cycling games taking place on another part of the circuit to keep the children entertained while they wait for their race event. Medals are awarded for the 1 – 2 – 3 in each race category and every competitor goes away with a prize.
Last night was the first round and proved to be very successful with more than 40 children taking part, and with some competitive racing in almost every age group.
The winner in the under 8s was Ewan Whiting (SWCC), 2nd was William Rowan (SWCC) and 3rd was Matthew Best (Manilla).
The winner in the U10 was Joshua Hewitt (SWCC), 2nd was Daniel Thompson (CWCC) and 3rd was Aiden Colmer (CWCC)
The winner in the U12 was Isabelle Mayes (CWCC), 2nd Stacey Williams (CWCC) and 3rd Holly Sanderson (CWCC)
The winner in the U14 was Holly Dixon (CWCC), 2nd Finlay Davies (CWCC) and 3rd Felix Buckley (SWCC)
Finally, the winner in the U16 was Stephen Bailes (CWCC) followed by Niamh Stinton (CWCC)
Many thanks to all those children who turned out and made it a great event, and thanks to all those who gave of their time to help organise and run the event.
See you all again on the 10th July.
Today a group of CWCC riders and friends (the “Old Scrotes to John O’Groats”) begin their attempt to ride from Land’s End to John O’Groats. They plan to do this over the course of nine days on the following schedule:-
- Day 1, Friday 16 June, Land’s End to Iddesleigh, 122.3 miles.
- Day 2, Saturday 17 June, Iddesleigh to Clifton, 114.3 miles.
- Day 3, Sunday 18 June, Clifton to Burton on Trent, 127.8 miles.
- Day 4, Monday 19 June, Burton on Trent to Easingwold, 117.3 miles.
- Day 5, Tuesday 20 June, Easingwold to Rothbury, 118.7 miles.
- Day 6, Wednesday 21 June, Rothbury to Edinburgh, 98.8 miles.
- Day 7, Thursday 22 June, Edinburgh to Kincraig, 126.7 miles.
- Day 8, Friday 23 June, Kincraig to Helmsdale, 107.0 miles.
- Day 9, Saturday 24 June, Helmsdale to John O’Groats, 53.1 miles.
On a map it looks like this.
On day 5, Tuesday 20th, they will be passing through the north east. It would be great to have as many Wheelers as possible out on the road to support them. They’ll be using the following route and they will be setting off from Easingwold about 8:30 am. We’ll put more information on here and an Facebook closer to the time.
Best of luck!