UCI Road Calendar 2018
Calendar Labels Explained
Each race is listed along with its location and UCI status eg World Tour, 1.1 or 2.HC.
- Any race with the 1. prefix is a one day race; any race with the 2. prefix is a stage race
- WT means World Tour and includes all the prime races on the calendar, from the three grand tours (Giro d’Italia, Tour de France, Vuelta a España) to the one day classics like Paris-Roubaix, the Tour of Flanders and Il Lombardia, as well as others like the Tour of Poland or the Tour Down Under and can be anywhere in the world. Normally all 18 UCI men’s WorldTeams must ride and organisers may invite UCI Pro Continental Teams. But it’s not so simple and for the “new” races added to the World Tour in 2017 the WorldTeams are invited but don’t all have to ride. Confused? You’re not alone.
After this come races in different races that are grouped by region, with the UCI Asia Tour, UCI America Tour, UCI Africa Tour and UCI Oceania Tour and UCI Europe Tour. The bulk of races on the calendar above are in Europe with races like the Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne, the Giro del Trentino or the Tour of Denmark but we also find races like the Herald Sun Tour, the Tour de Langkawi and the Japan Cup.
- *.HC is the next level down and up to 70% of the teams may come from the UCI Pro Teams but UCI Pro Continental and UCI Continental teams can be invited as well as the local national team
- *.1 is another step down where up to 50% of the teams can be UCI Pro Team with the rest from Pro Continental, Continental and also national teams
- There are also *.2, U23 and criteriums but these races are excluded to keep the calendar concise and focus on the top pro races around the world
Women’s Race labels
- WWT is the the Women’s World Tour. Unlike the men’s World Tour there’s no set quota of teams who must participate, instead the top-20 teams on the rankings in early January must be invited for one day races and the top-15 for stage races. It is then up to the teams to elect to race these or not and the remaining spaces go to other women’s teams as well as national squads
- 1.1W and 2.1W are women’s one day and women’s stage races where the field is made up of women’s teams, national teams as well as regional or club teams